Edward Sorin Papers
Scope and Content
Correspondence or copies of correspondence from Stephen T. Badin, Julian Benoit, and various American bishops regarding local and university legal and religious matters; letters to Vicar General Augustus Mary Martin at Terre Haute, Indiana, and Saint Theodore Guerin, Mother Superior of the Sisters of Providence at St. Mary of the Woods, Indiana; writings, meditations, instructions; a statement by Sorin on the relationship between the sisters at Notre Dame and those at St. Mary's College (1876) and a letter from Sorin on the death of Mother Angela Gillespie of St. Mary's College (1887); documents including presidential certificates appointing Sorin as postmaster of Notre Dame (1851-1891), Sorin's passport, and his father's will (1840); letters and elaborate cards from bishops, students and others commemorating Sorin's birthdays, Golden Jubilee (1888), Feast Day (13 October 1893), and other festive events; a microfilm copy of Sorin's Chroniques de N.D. du lac, Ind., describing the founding and early years of the University of Notre Dame (1837-1866), with a microfilm copy and a photocopy of a handwritten translation of the chronicles into English by J.M. Toohey (1895) and a typewritten transcription of this translation; printed material concerning the DeSeille land dispute (ca. 1877), Sorin's Golden Jubilee, and other topics.
- 1836-1991 (bulk 1839-1893).
- Sorin, Edward. (Person)
Language of Materials
In English, French, German, Italian, and Latin.
Founder of the University of Notre Dame, elected Superior General of the Congregation of Holy Cross in 1868.
2.6 linear feet. 2 reels of microfilm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Originals of Sorin's chronicles and Toohey's translation of them came from the Congregation of Holy Cross Province Archives Center, Notre Dame, Indiana.
- Badin, Stephen T. (Stephen Theodore), 1768-1853.
- Benoit, Julian, 1808-1885.
- DeSeille, Louis d. 1838
- Gillespie, Angela, 1824-1887.
- Guerin, Theodore, Mother, 1798-1856.
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Martin, Augustus Mary, 1803-1875.
- Sorin, Edward.
- St. Mary's College, (Notre Dame, Ind.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Notre Dame -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Notre Dame -- Presidents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edward Sorin Papers SOR
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note