Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Scope and Content Correspondence and copies of correspondence, including three autographs of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, several autographs of Archbishop John Carroll, and correspondence of Bishop John Cheverus of Boston, Bishop Michael Egan of Philadelphia, Daniel Brent, John Carroll Brent, and Howes Goldsborough of Easton, Maryland; diary of Archbishop Ambrose Maréchal, 1818-1827; diary and account book of Archbishop James Whitfield, 1827-1828; clippings and related material. Also microfilm of...
Dates: 1717-1960 (bulk 1800-1899).
Scope and Content Letters, pamphlets, clippings and manuscripts of speeches and sermons, with material concerning a riot in 1844 over the version of the Bible to be used in public schools, the Eucharistic Convention held in Philadelphia in 1899 sponsored by the Priests' Eucharistic League, and the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia. Correspondents include the prelates of the diocese in the 19th century and laymen. Also typed copies and photostats of German letters, 1891- 1892,...
Scope and Content Correspondence, including letters sent to Edward Sorin, CSC, John A. Zahm, CSC, James Edwards, Maurice Francis Egan, and Frank Earle Hering, and letters received from Francis Patrick Kenrick, Archbishop of Baltimore; manuscript of Starr's book Isabella of Castile, 1492-1892; and clippings pertaining to Starr. Incorrectly listed in the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (MS 67-936) as dealing chiefly with correspondence of Archbishop Martin John Spalding. Extensive...
Scope and Content Handwritten papers in Latin defending theses concerning church history and theology, probably produced by students at the Irish College circa 1866. Microfilm containing letters from members of the American Catholic hierarchy to the rectors of the Irish College in Rome, who acted as their agents, namely Paul Cullen, later Cardinal Archbishop of Dublin, and Tobias Kirby; pertaining mostly to administrative affairs in the American hierarchy; with letters from Francis Patrick Kenrick,...
Scope and Content Letters received by Spalding from bishops Guy Ignatius Chabrat, Maurice de Saint-Palais, Benedict Joseph Flaget and Francis P. Kenrick, from diocesan priests, Jesuits, and Dominicans, and from relatives; other correspondence involving people in the diocese; one letter written by Spalding to James M. Lancaster (20 December 1846); a circular letter (1858) and an undated sermon. Microfilm contains pastoral letters written by Spalding as Archbishop of Baltimore (1865-1872) and a...
Scope and Content Chiefly correspondence. Correspondents include John Dubois, Simon Gabriel Bruté, Guy Ignatius Chabrat, SS, Henry Conwell, John Baptist David, SS, John England, Edward Dominic Fenwick, OP, Benedict Joseph Flaget, SS, John Joseph Hughes, Francis Patrick Kenrick, Gabriel Richard, and James Whitfield. Also correspondence from the Sulpician priests in the Kentucky missions, 1810-1834.
Scope and Content Correspondence, journal, clippings, and manuscript drafts of books, speeches, articles, and essays, both published and unpublished, 1823-1876; including correspondence with the Comte de Montalembert, Louis Veuillot, Lord Acton, John Henry Cardinal Newman, George Bancroft, Salmon Chase, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Isaac Hecker, Henry David Thoreau, and Archbishops John Hughes, Francis Patrick Kenrick and Martin Spalding; manuscripts of essays by Albert Brisbane, Archbishop Francis P. Kenrick, George...
Scope and Content Correspondence and other documents in the archives of the Congregatio de Propaganda Fide in Rome; involving the Sisters of Loretto, Father Charles Nerinckx, and Bishops Benedict Joseph Flaget, Martin John Spalding, and Francis Patrick Kenrick; letters and typewritten transcripts of letters written by or to Sisters of Loretto, including letters from bishops Simon Bruté, John Timon, CM, George A. Carrell, and Peter Joseph Lavialle; a dissertation entitled "Bishop Joseph Rosati, CM, and the...
- Names: Kenrick, Francis Patrick, 1797-1863. X
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- Correspondence 2
- Clippings (information artifacts) 2
- Letters. 2
- Americanism (Catholic controversy) 1
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- History 1
- Catholic Church -- Missions 1
- Catholic converts -- Correspondence 1
- Catholic education -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Catholic universities and colleges 1
- Kentucky -- Church history 1
- Missions -- New York 1
- Monasticism and religious orders for women 1
- Pastoral Letters. 1
- Riots -- Pennsylvania -- History -- 19th century 1
- Sermons. 1
- Sulpicians -- United States -- History. 1
- Transcendentalists (New England). 1
- Universities and colleges -- History. 1
- Universities and colleges -- Maryland. 1 ∧ less
- English 7
- Flaget, Benedict Joseph, 1763-1850. 3
- Bruté, Simon, 1779-1839. 2
- Conwell, Henry, 1748-1842. 2
- David, John Baptist Mary, 1761-1841. 2
- England, John, 1786-1842. 2
- Hughes, John, 1797-1864. 2
- Lavialle, Peter Joseph, 1819-1867. 2
- Nerinckx, Charles, 1761-1824. 2
- Acton, John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Baron, 1834-1902. 1
- Amat, Thaddeus, 1811-1878. 1
- American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia. 1
- Badin, Stephen T. (Stephen Theodore), 1768-1853. 1
- Bancroft, George, 1800-1891. 1
- Bayley, James Roosevelt, 1814-1877. 1
- Brent, Daniel, 1774-1841. 1
- Brent, John Carroll. 1
- Brisbane, Albert, 1809-1890. 1
- Brownson, Orestes Augustus, 1803-1876. 1
- Carrell, George A. (George Aloysius), 1803-1868. 1 ∧ less