Archdiocese of Baltimore Collection
Scope and Content
Correspondence and copies of correspondence, including three autographs of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, several autographs of Archbishop John Carroll, and correspondence of Bishop John Cheverus of Boston, Bishop Michael Egan of Philadelphia, Daniel Brent, John Carroll Brent, and Howes Goldsborough of Easton, Maryland; diary of Archbishop Ambrose Maréchal, 1818-1827; diary and account book of Archbishop James Whitfield, 1827-1828; clippings and related material.
Also microfilm of the correspondence of Archbishops John Carroll, Leonard Neale, Ambrose Maréchal, James Whitfield, Samuel Eccleston, Francis Patrick Kenrick, Martin John Spalding, James Roosevelt Bayley, and James Cardinal Gibbons; with letters from Stephen T. Badin, Peter Joseph Lavialle, William George McCloskey, Charles Nerinckx, and John Baptist David.
Some of the correspondence from the Baltimore Cathedral Archives is available not only on microfilm but also in the form of photocopies; some of this correspondence is also available in typewritten transcripts.
- Creation: 1717-1960 (bulk 1800-1899).
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Baltimore (MD) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Until 1808, the Diocese of Baltimore encompassed all of the United States. In 1808, with the establishment of the Dioceses of Boston, Bardstown, and Philadelphia, Baltimore became the first archdiocese in the United States. Its archbishop had metropolitan authority over other dioceses until 1846. Although the Diocese of Richmond was established in 1820, it had no bishop from 1822 until 1841; the Archbishop of Baltimore served as its administrator.
3 linear feet. 40 reels of microfilm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Originals acquired by James Edwards from 1860 to 1900; transcripts and copies acquired at various times between 1870 and 1960; the microfilm was acquired circa 1962 from the Baltimore Cathedral Archives.
- Carroll, Charles, 1737-1832. (Person)
- Cheverus, Jean Louis Aimé Madeleine Lefebvre de, 1768-1836. (Person)
- Egan, Michael, 1761-1814 (Person)
- Brent, Daniel, 1774-1841 (Person)
- Brent, John Carroll (Person)
- Goldsborough, Howes (Person)
- Neale, Leonard, 1746-1817. (Person)
- Maréchal, Ambrose, 1764-1828. (Person)
- Whitfield, James, 1770-1835. (Person)
- Eccleston, Samuel, 1801-1851. (Person)
- Kenrick, Francis Patrick, 1797-1863. (Person)
- Spalding, M. J. (Martin John), 1810-1872 (Person)
- Bayley, James Roosevelt, 1814-1877 (Person)
- Gibbons, James, 1834-1921 (Person)
- Badin, Stephen T. (Stephen Theodore), 1768-1853 (Person)
- Lavialle, Peter Joseph, 1819-1867. (Person)
- McCloskey, William George, 1823-1909. (Person)
- Nerinckx, Charles, 1761-1824. (Person)
- David, John Baptist Mary, 1761-1841 (Person)
- Archdiocese of Baltimore Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note