Showing Collections: 1 - 17 of 17
Identifier: MSN/CW 8010
Abstract A manuscript Civil War diary of Confederate States Army lieutenant Alfred Moore, written as a member of Co. I, 11th Virginia Cavalry. Moore's entries extend from September 1864 to February 1865: events covered include Hampton's cattle raid and Rosser's raid on Beverly, West Virginia.
Identifier: MSN/CW 5057
Abstract More than one hundred letters written during the Civil War by two brothers serving in the Confederate army, Sgt. William Lafayette Barrier (1st North Carolina Cavalry) and Col. Rufus Barrier (8th North Carolina Infantry). The letters are mostly directed to the brothers' father, Mathias Barrier, in Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
Dates: 1861-1868; Majority of material found in ( 1861-1865)
Identifier: MSN/CW 5040
Scope and Contents A manuscript personal letter written from the defenses of Richmond on 1 December 1864 by Confederate soldier Cicero R. Barker, 8th North Carolina Infantry.
Dates: 1 December 1864
Identifier: MSN/CW 5041
Scope and Contents Of the seven manuscripts in the group, five are letters by Pratt to his mother or father—one written from western Virginia in August of 1861, and four from various locations in the Shenandoah Valley, December 1862 to November 1863. The two remaining documents (March-June 1862) are letters to Pratt from the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Wise, responding to Pratt's own, perhaps repeated entreaties that Wise use his influence to expedite Pratt's exchange. Pratt's initial assignment to Wise's command...
Identifier: MSN/CW 8011
Abstract A manuscript Civil War diary of Confederate States Army lieutenant George H. Murphy, written as a member of Co. D, 23rd Virginia Cavalry. Entries extend from 1 March to 13 April 1865, and recount the author's movements up and down the Shenandoah Valley.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8000
Abstract A short-entry Civil War manuscript soldier's diary for the calendar year 1863, kept by James Boardman, Co. B, 3rd Minnesota Infantry.
Identifier: MSN/CW 1014
Abstract Civil War papers and realia of James C. Woodworth of Worcester, Massachusetts, who from 1861 to 1864 served in Co. H of the 25th Massachusetts Infantry, rising to lieutenant. Included in the collection are a 6-volume wartime diary and an album containing 73 tintype portraits of members of Co. H.
Dates: 1861-1900; Majority of material found in 1861-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 1000
Abstract Manuscripts and other materials relating to the Confederate army service of the brothers Henry, Martin, Robert, and Joseph Leonard, of Iredell County, North Carolina, including records of Co. C, 48th North Carolina Infantry.
Dates: 1862-after 1865; Majority of material found in 1862-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5108
Scope and Contents Central to this collection of family letters are personal letters written by Marcellus Ovando Messer during his Civil War era military service in Company C, 19th Ohio Infantry (1861-1865). These letters date from 11 January 1862 to 23 October 1865. Stamped, postmarked envelopes are present for most. Messer writes to his parents Loren S. Messer and Chestina W. Cook Messer and younger brother, Charles Messer, at home in Warren, Ohio, and to his brother George W. Messer (who by 1863 was himself...
Dates: 1853 - 1924; Majority of material found within 1862 - 1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5109
Abstract The collection includes more than 50 manuscript letters written during the Civil War by Pvt. John William Masterson, Co. A, 133rd New York Infantry, as well as later papers relating to Masterson's service and to his son William and daughter Ida.
Dates: 1862-1923; Majority of material found within ( 1862-1865)
Identifier: MSN/CW 5050
Abstract A personal letter written from Columbus, Ohio on 25 August 1863 by Confederate Col. Richard C. Morgan, 14th Kentucky Cavalry, following his capture on John Hunt Morgan's Indiana-Ohio Raid. The letter is directed to sister-in-law Martha Ready Morgan, John Morgan's wife.
Dates: 25 August 1863
Identifier: MSN/CW 1004
Abstract Around 60 items, mostly manuscripts, with a bearing on the Civil War service of Lt. Robert S. Edwards of the 48th New York Infantry. Among the 45 personal letters are 14 written by Edwards and 22 directed to him by his brother and sister-in-law, Ogden and Nellie Edwards, then living in the Philippines. There are also a number of items relating to Robert Edwards's death (at Fort Wagner in Charleston Harbor) and post-mortem arrangements.
Identifier: MSN/CW 5025
Abstract A group of 18 family letters, 14 of which were written in 1862-63 by Confederate Lt. Col. William W. Sillers of the 30th North Carolina Infantry. The letters are directed to Sillers' sister, Frances Sillers Holmes, in Sampson County, North Carolina.
Dates: 1859-1864; Majority of material found in 1862-1863
Identifier: MSN/CW 8003
Abstract A short-entry Civil War manuscript diary of Confederate States soldier Thomas Benton Alexander, written as a member of the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery Regiment, Company B (3rd). Much of the content dates from the final year of the war, when Alexander was captured at Mobile Bay and imprisoned at Elmira, New York.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8002
Abstract A Civil War manuscript diary of Confederate States trooper Thomas J. Barb, written as a member of the 1st (Dobbin's) Arkansas Cavalry Regiment. Entries extend from 18 June to 11 September 1863 and include accounts of several key engagements in Arkansas, including the attack on Helena and the defense of Little Rock.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8018
Abstract A personal diary maintained by Confederate veteran Thomas Kemp Cartmell, mostly during the late war years and Reconstruction, 1864-1866. The entries were written at the Cartmell family estate, "Retirement," in Frederick County, Virginia.
Dates: 1864-1872; Majority of material found in 1864-1866
Identifier: MSN/CW 8007
Abstract A volume including manuscript diary entries dated from August 1863 to October 1864 written by Civil War soldier William Cline, as a member of Co. B, 73rd Ohio Infantry. The book also includes a 53-page memoir chronicling Cline's service from 1861-1863.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 14
- Diaries 8
- Letters (correspondence) 8
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence 5
- Manuscripts (documents) 4
- Clippings (information artifacts) 3
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 3
- Ephemera (general object genre) 2
- Military records 2
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Photographs 2
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Diaries 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons 2
- Arkansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 1
- Beverly (W. Va.) -- History, Military -- 19th century 1
- Burial records 1
- Cabarrus County (N.C.) -- History 1
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) 1
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History -- Siege, 1863 1 ∧ less
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 8th 2
- Alexander, Thomas Benton, 1839-1928 1
- Barb, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1842-1899 1
- Barker, Cicero R., 1848-1917 1
- Barrier, Rufus A. (Rufus Alexander), 1836-1876 1
- Barrier, William L. (William Lafayette), 1834-1864 1
- Boardman, James, b. 1831 1
- Cartmell, T. K. (Thomas Kemp), 1838-1920 1
- Cline, William, 1830-1899 1
- Confederate States of America. Army of Northern Virginia 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Arkansas Cavalry Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Clingman's Brigade 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Cavalry Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 30th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 48th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Heavy Artillery Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 11th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 18th. Company H 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 23rd 1 ∧ less