Francis P. Clark Collection
Scope and Content
A few original manuscripts, but chiefly photocopies, transcriptions, and translations of correspondence and documents concerning the history of the Catholic Church in Kentucky; correspondents include missionary priest Stephen T. Badin and bishops John Baptist David, Benedict Joseph Flaget, Martin John Spalding, Peter Joseph Lavialle, and William George McCloskey.
Portraits of Catholic clergy and religious along with photographs and photomechanical prints of Catholic churches, schools, and other institutions (many from Kentucky), Catholic lay groups, prelates at the Second Plenary Council of Baltimore (1866), and scenes from the Notre Dame campus including buildings, the aftermath of the fire of 1879, and faculty and students; also postcards of Catholic churches and institutions, the Notre Dame campus, and buildings and scenes of local interest.
Religious and commemorative medals. Printed material consisting of pamphlets, periodicals, clippings, catalogs, directories, encyclicals, and pastoral letters; concerning Catholic history (with emphasis on the history of Kentucky), religious orders, priests, bishops, genealogy, and heraldry.
- Creation: 1773-1979.
Language of Materials
A native of Kentucky, Francis Clark worked as university microfilmer at Notre Dame; when he died, he left his many collections to the University Archives.
6 linear feet. 30 linear feet of photographs. 35 medals. 53 linear feet of printed material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
St. Louis Archdiocese Archives.
Baltimore Cathedral Archives.
Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky.
Several of Clark's well-defined collections (e.g., Parish Histories) have been maintained separately according to the arrangement he established. These have been described elsewhere.
Portions of this collection were previouosly cataloged as CCOP, Francis Clark Collection of Copies, Transcripts, Translations, and Manuscripts.
- Clark, Francis P. (Francis Patrick), 1936-1979 (Person)
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Louisville (KY) (Organization)
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Bardstown (KY) (Organization)
- Catholic Church. Plenary Council (2nd : 1866 : Baltimore, Md.) (Organization)
- David, John Baptist Mary, 1761-1841 (Person)
- Flaget, Benedict Joseph, 1763-1850 (Person)
- Spalding, M. J. (Martin John), 1810-1872 (Person)
- Lavialle, Peter Joseph, 1819-1867. (Person)
- McCloskey, William George, 1823-1909. (Person)
- Badin, Stephen T. (Stephen Theodore), 1768-1853 (Person)
Genre / Form
- Francis P. Clark Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note