Jorge Luis Borges Collection
Identifier: MSH/LAT 0003
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the activities of Jorge Luis Borges an Argentine writer and poet. It contains ephemera and records related to Borges’ professional career, including newspaper articles, a cigarette holder, interviews, poetry, unpublished manuscripts, and scholarly articles written about Borges and published in various magazines, including the Avant Garde magazine Martín Fierro (1924-1927). Significant topics represented in these files are poetry and Latin American literature and culture. Materials include manuscripts, clippings, postcards, correspondence, magazines, and electronic records.
- Borges, Jorge Luis, 1899-1986 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
Arguably Argentina's most important author of the 20th century, Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) undertook numerous literary endeavors throughout his life, emerging as a premier poet, short story writer and essayist on both the Latin American and global literary fronts. Borges went completely blind by age 55. Borges was also active politically, publishing a number of anti-nazism and anti-fascist essays before and during the Second World War, condemning anti-Semites, and speaking out against President Juan Perón.
6.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into three series: I. Unpublished manuscripts; II. Published Ephemera; and III. Miscellaneous. Each series is arranged chronologically.
Previously cataloged as EPH 5000, "Jorge Luis Borges periodical collection."
- Anti-fascist movements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Argentina -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Argentine literature -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Argentine poetry -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Electronic records (digital records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Latin American literature -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Magazines (periodicals) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Martín Fierro Subject Source: Local sources
- Poets, Argentine Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postcards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jorge Luis Borges Collection
- Hannah E. Sabal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note