Watson Family Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains manuscript material created by or related to the Watson Family of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Included are various autograph manuscripts, indenture releases and a mortgage, poetry, legal manuscripts, a passport, two diaries belonging to John and Martha Watson, and a manuscript containing a personal memoir and a Native American speech.
- Creation: circa 1700, 1792-1878
- Watson Family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of copyrighted materials beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
The Watsons were a prominent Irish Quaker family from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Thomas Watson, Jr. (circa. 1698-1729) married Elizabeth Smith (b. circa 1700) in 1720. Sarah Watson (b. 1725) is the child of Thomas Watson, Jr. and Elizabeth Smith. John Watson (1767-1841) and Martha Watson (1774-1844) were active in the Quaker community in Bucks County, where John worked as a surveyor and the two kept an active farm.
.25 Cubic feet (11 folders)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Genre / Form
- Land tenure -- Law and legislation -- Pennsylvania -- 18th century
- Land tenure -- Law and legislation -- Pennsylvania -- 19th century
- Quakers -- History -- 18th century -- Sources
- Quakers -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Quakers -- Social life and customs -- 18th century
- Quakers -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Watson Family Papers
- Hannah Sabal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note