Jim Newton Collection on Pete Rose
Identifier: MSSP 0017
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of materials on Major League Baseball's 1989 investigation into the gambling activities of Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose, which resulted in Rose's placement on Baseball's "permanently ineligible list." These materials, consisting primarily of photocopied documents and news clippings, were assembled in 1989 by journalist Jim Newton of the Fort Hamilton (OH) Press. Included are copies of MLB investigator Thomas Dowd's report on Rose's activities, with its many attendant volumes of exhibits; transcripts of interviews conducted by Dowd in his investigation; legal documents from Peter E. Rose v. A. Bartlett Giamatti, et al and United States v. Thomas P. Gioiosa, and copies of newspaper articles tracking the case from March to September, 1989.
- Majority of material found in 1989
- Newton, James (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
4 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
A collection of materials on the Pete Rose gambling investigation of 1989, assembled by journalist Jim Newton of the Fort Hamilton (OH) Press. The collection consists primarily of photocopied documents and news clips. Included is a copy of the Dowd Report (Major League Baseball's investigation into Rose's activities) with its many attendant volumes of exhibits.
The collection is arranged in three series: 1. Photocopies of the Dowd Report and attendant exhibits; 2. Miscellaneous legal documents; 3. Photocopies of news clips.
- Baseball -- Betting -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cincinnati Reds (Baseball team)
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gambling -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judicial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rose, Pete, 1941-
- Jim Newton Collection on Pete Rose
- George Rugg
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note