John Francis O'Hara Papers
Scope and Content
Correspondence, 1908-1960; sermons, lectures and editorials by O'Hara; clippings about him; notes taken by him; class records, 1917-1931; excerpts from the diary of his sister Elizabeth O'Hara, 1940-1951; correspondence, press releases, and clippings concerning his role as military delegate of the armed forces of the United States, 1940-1945; photographs, pamphlets, and medals.
Also microfilm of clippings concerning Theodore Roosevelt's trip to South America with John A. Zahm, CSC, in 1913; and microfilm of correspondence and speeches concerning Franklin Delano Roosevelt's visit to Notre Dame for the conferral of an honorary degree in 1935.
- Creation: 1900s-1960s
Language of Materials
Professor of religion, 1917-1934, vice-president, 1933-1934, and president, 1934-1940, University of Notre Dame; bishop serving as military delegate during World War II, 1939-1945; Bishop of Buffalo, 1945-1951; Archbishop of Philadelphia, 1951-1960; Cardinal in 1958.
14 linear feet. 7 linear inches of photographs. 2 reels of microfilm.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of Roosevelt correspondence and speeches: Franklin D. Roosevelt Library, Hyde Park, NY.
- O'Hara, John F. (John Francis), 1888-1960 (Person)
- Zahm, J. A. (John Augustine), 1851-1921 (Person)
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945. (Person)
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919. (Person)
- O'Hara, Elizabeth, 1940-1951. (Person)
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Philadelphia (PA) (Organization)
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Buffalo (NY) (Organization)
- John Francis O'Hara Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note