Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem Collection
Scope and Content
Manuals, sermons, articles, constitution, magazines, newsletters, programs, minutes, ceremonials, etc., mainly for the Western, Northern, and Southern Lieutenancies (but also a few foreign titles as well), mainly dating 1950s-1980s.
- Creation: 1950s-1980s
Language of Materials
Fraternal organization of Catholic knights founded by Godfrey de Bouillon at the time of the first Crusade and officially recognized in 1113 by Pope Paschal II. In the twelfth century they guarded the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre and the city of Jerusalem against the Muslims.
In 1977 Pope Paul VI approved a new constitution for the Order which describes its purpose: "The Order relives in a modern manner the spirit and ideal of the Crusades, with the arms of faith, of the apostolate, and of Christian charity. To this end the Order (a) fosters in its members the practice of the Christian life; (b) is zealous for the preservation and spread of the faith in Palestine; (c) champions the defense of the rights of the Catholic Church in the Holy Land, the cradle of the Order."
2.75 linear feet.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
John Bennett Shaw.
- Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note