Francis Norbert Blanchet Papers
Scope and Content
Letters and papers from Blanchet's trips to France (1846) and South America (1856-1857); correspondence with Major Edward Mallet (1881-1882), with a few letters exchanged between Mallet and Bishop Augustin Magloire Alexander Blanchet (1883); letters, pamphlets and clippings involving Archbishops F.N. Blanchet, Charles J. Seghers, William H. Gross, and Alexander Christie; and a few papers and clippings involving the Diocese of Vancouver Island, suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Oregon City.
- 1846-1902 (bulk 1846-1882).
Language of Materials
Missionary in the Pacific Northwest in the 19th century; named vicar-general of the Oregon country in 1838 and first bishop of Oregon City (later known as the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon) when the episcopal see was created in 1846; developed the Catholic Ladder (1859) as a teaching device for the Indians to illustrate the history and beliefs of the Christian faith.
2.5 linear inches.
- Blanchet, Francis Norbert, 1795-1883.
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Oregon City (Or.)
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Francis Norbert Blanchet Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note