Edward V. Cardinal Papers
Scope and Content
Correspondence, 1941-1955; copies of letters from John Tracy Ellis, 1927-1970, and of a memoir by Ellis; sermons and writings by Cardinal; correspondence, minutes, and printed material from such organizations as NCCJ, 1940s-1950s, Catholic Youth Organization (CYO), 1943-1954, and Sheil School, 1943-1954; Cardinal's subject files concerning brotherhood (1930s-1960s), American Catholic history (1920s), youth, adult education, and Bishop Bernard Sheil; printed material on anti-semitism (1940s-1950s), the NCCJ (1940s-1950s), the Sheil School (1943-1954), and the CYO (1943-1954); transcriptions of the annual reports of Catholic Indian mission schools, 1820s-1840s; and photographs.
- Creation: 1920-1969.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Ellis material restricted by contract.
Priest; professor of history, Viator College, Bourbonnais, Illinois, 1924-1929, and Loyola University, Chicago, 1938-1946; director of Sheil School, Chicago, 1946-1953; and Catholic spokesman for the National Conference of Christians and Jews (NCCJ), 1940s-1950s.
7 linear feet. 14 photographs.
- Sheil, Bernard J. (Bernard James), 1888-1969. (Person)
- National Conference of Christians and Jews. (Organization)
- Sheil School of Social Studies (Chicago, Ill.) (Organization)
- Catholic Youth Organization of the Archdiocese of Chicago. (Organization)
- Ellis, John Tracy, 1905-1992 (Person)
- Edward V. Cardinal Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note