Murray Sperber Papers
Scope and Content
Research files from his years as a graduate student at Berkeley, concerning Arthur Koestler and the Spanish Civil War, including his dissertation; files concerning his work as a professor at Indiana University, including course files, the dossier assembled in support of his review for promotion to full professor, and course evaluations; files from his time as a sports writer, including printed material, clippings, and manuscripts concerning soccer; files representing his academic publications, including research files on Orwell, Eisenstein, and others; research files for his books, with drafts, notes, photocopies, correspondence, manuscripts and galleys; also manuscripts of unpublished mystery and science fiction novels, photographs, printed material, and audio-visual material.
- Sperber, Murray (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Papers closed for processing. Audio-visual material open for use.
Born 30 November 1940 in Montreal, Murray Sperber earned a B.A. from Purdue University in 1961, an M.A. from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1963, and a Ph.D. from Berkeley in 1974. He served as a professor of English and American Studies at Indiana University, Bloomington, 1971-2004. He published academic articles and anthologies about Arthur Koestler, George Orwell, and the Spanish Civil War, including And I Remember Spain: a Spanish Civil War Anthology , Arthur Koestler: a Collection of Critical Essays , and Literature and Politics . But he is best known for his books about higher education and college sports, including College Sports Inc.: the Athletic Department vs the University , Shake Down the Thunder: the Creation of Notre Dame Football , Onward to victory: the Crises that Shaped College Sports , and Beer and Circus: How Big-time College Sports is Crippling Undergraduate Education .
100 linear feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- College sports -- Economic aspects -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports -- Moral and ethical aspects -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports -- United States -- Organization and administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eisenstein, Sergei, 1898-1948.
- Koestler, Arthur.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (Football team)
- Orwell, George, 1903-1950.
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Administration. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Notre Dame -- Football -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Notre Dame.
- Murray Sperber Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note