Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Identifier: MSN/CW 5053
Abstract A group of 27 personal letters written by, to, or about James Monroe Meek, an East Tennessee lawyer and legislator jailed by the Confederates for his Unionist sympathies. Most of the correspondence dates from the Civil War.
Dates: 1861-1869; Majority of material found in 1861-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5015
Abstract A small group of papers originating with the Read family of the central Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. Included are 28 letters written by three different family members during the Civil War: Confederate States soldier Thomas Griffin Read, Co. I, 33rd Virginia Infantry (10 letters); his wife Martha White Read, of Augusta County (15 letters); and the CS artilleryman John Henry Read (3 letters).
Dates: 1850-after 1900; Majority of material found in 1861-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5050
Abstract A personal letter written from Columbus, Ohio on 25 August 1863 by Confederate Col. Richard C. Morgan, 14th Kentucky Cavalry, following his capture on John Hunt Morgan's Indiana-Ohio Raid. The letter is directed to sister-in-law Martha Ready Morgan, John Morgan's wife.
Dates: 25 August 1863
Identifier: MSN/CW 5033
Abstract Five letters written during the summer and fall of 1864 by the brothers (and Confederate cavalrymen) Jonathan Gibson Taylor and Robert Walker Taylor, of Daviess County, Kentucky. All were written from Federal prisoner of war camps, at Louisville, Rock Island, and Camp Douglas.
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- Confederate States of America -- Politics and government 1
- Kentucky -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Lawyers -- Tennessee -- Correspondence 1
- Money (objects) 1
- Morgan's Ohio Raid, 1863 1
- Ohio -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Tennessee -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women 1
- Women -- Confederate States of America -- History -- Correspondence 1 ∧ less
- Confederate States of America. Army. Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 33rd 1
- Meek, Elizabeth Walker, 1839-1921 1
- Meek, James Monroe, 1821-ca. 1899 1
- Morgan, John Hunt, 1825-1864 1