Skip to main content

Sinclair House Hotel Financial Records

 Collection
Identifier: MSSP_10015
Please use the Collection Organization below to place requests

Content Description

This collections consists of financial records for the Sinclair House hotel in Bethlehem, New Hampshire in the White Mountains. Records include four account books with details of the financial operation of the hotel with both income and expenses, and one hotel register listing financial details for individual visits by guests.

Dates

  • Creation: 1881-1884

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

There are no access restrictions on this collection.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Biographical / Historical

The Sinclair House was a popular summer resort hotel located in the small town of Bethlehem, New Hampshire, in Grafton county in the White Mountains. Starting in the second half of the nineteenth century, the White Mountain region attracted middle-class and upper-class summer visitors who took advantage of the lake, forests, and outdoor recreation in the area. The Sinclair House was originally opened in 1865 by businessman and politican John Sinclair. The hotel was expanded several times over the ensuing decades growing to more than 300 rooms to accommodate the increasing number of visitors. The hotel offered food and drink in addition to modern facilities, and the hotel grounds included numerous recreational activities including billiards, bowling, baseball, tennis, and other pastimes. By the 1880s, the hotel was owned and operated by John W. Durgin and Warren Fox. The Sinclair remained a staple of the summer scene in Bethlehem throughout much of the twentieth century. The hotel closed in 1976 due to declining business, and the building was destroyed by fire in 1978.

Full Extent

.68 Cubic Feet (2 flat boxes oversize)

Language of Materials

English

Status
Completed
Date
March 2026
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Notre Dame Rare Books & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
102 Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame IN 46556
574-631-0290