Captain James Martyn Eaves Papers
Identifier: MSE/MD 6417
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the World War I papers of Captain James Martyn (J.M.) Eaves, spanning just before his service, through the war, and into post-war Occupied Europe. The collection contains five diaries in Eaves’ hand specifically detailing his day-to-day experiences in the war. In the back of the diaries, Eaves wrote notes and letter drafts, and enclosed photographs and newspaper clippings. The bulk of the collection consists of letters sent to and from Captain Eaves. The majority of the letters are between Eaves and his fiancée, Miss Keogh (alternatively addressed as Sylvia, Amelia, and Lou), though there are some letters sent to Eaves by friends and colleagues. Almost all of Eaves’ letters are addressed in France. Significant topics include Eaves’ service during World War I, social life in early twentieth-century Great Britain, and European history.
- Majority of material found within 1915 - 1916
- Eaves, James Martyn, 1881-1963 (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection materials in English.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
James Martyn Eaves (1881-1963) served as a Captain for the Royal Army Service Corps, and later the Deputy Assistant Quarter Master General, of the 19th (Western) Division during World War I. He married Sylvia Amelia Louise Keogh (1883-1953) in 1917.
2 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
This collection is arranged chronologically by material type.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Europe -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain. Army. Royal Army Service Corps -- Officers -- Correspondence
- Great Britain. Army. Royal Army Service Corps -- Officers -- diaries
- Keogh, Sylvia Amelia Louise, 1883-1953
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Europe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- France Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Personal narratives, British Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Captain James Martyn Eaves Papers
- Hannah E. Sabal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note