Philadelphia Chinese Social Relief Collection
Identifier: MSN/MN 10028
Scope and Contents
The materials in this collection document the efforts of a very early social welfare organization in Philadelphia to aid the city’s Chinese citizens. Materials include correspondence of Edward Syle, an Episcopal missionary who worked closely with the Chinese; reports and minutes of meetings of the welfare committee; and a draft of the committee’s constitution.
- 1883 - 1885
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
The Chinese Committee or Chinese Guild was a group organized by a handful of Philadelphians with the goals of providing education and aid to Chinese immigrants in Philadelphia. Philadelphia’s Chinatown had its roots in the relocation of Chinese immigrants from western states to the eastern United States after the transcontinental railroad was finished in 1869. Following Exclusion Act of 1882, many Chinese immigrants in California, Washington, and Oregon faced violence and intimidation, resulting in their flight to states such as Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Syle was an Episcopal missionary who had been working with the Chinese since the 1850s in New York. Syle spoke the Chinese language and devoted his life to this work, which he carried on in both Shanghai and San Francisco.
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged chronologically.
- Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chinese -- Charities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chinese -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chinese Committee
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Emigration and immigration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Emigration and immigration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Syle, Edward, Rev.
- Philadelphia Chinese Social Relief Collection
- Hannah E. Sabal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note