Kaletta Statuary Company Drawings
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 545 original working drawings and photoreproductive copies of drawings (mainly blueprints) of Kaletta products and projects, executed in the first half of the twentieth century. Dated drawings, which are uncommon, range from 1915 to 1944. Most of the works appear to have been executed by Kaletta's designers; many are stamped: "This is the property of the Kaletta Co., St. Louis, Mo., and should be returned". A small number of drawings are attributed to other firms. Most of the drawings are in pencil, on a wide variety of papers and tracing papers; a few are on board or vellum. Dimensions range from 6 x 9 inches to 80 x 64 inches. Many of the items bear manuscript annotations, often indicating the customer's and/or subcontractor's name. The collection was formerly held in twelve large cardboard folders, doubtless original to the company. These were topically arranged, and were titled as follows: (1) Wrought iron and bronze worklecterns, prieu-Dieus, Bishop chairs, brackets, sanctuary gates, pulpits, cemetery gates; (2) candlesticks and candelabras; (3) lanterns and sanctuary lamps; (4) tabernacle repositories; (5) Old altar designs; (6) baptismal & Holy Water fonts; (7) Vestment cases; (8) Prieu-Dieus, Chairs, Sedilia, Bishop thrones, Choir stalls; (9) Pews; (10) Miscel. Plans and Layouts; (11) Ornamentssanctuary lights, altar tables, baptismal fonts, stations of the cross; (12) Miscellaneousmemorial plaques, pedestals, altar mausoleums. This arrangement has been largely preserved in the twelve series outlined below. It is to be noted that very few of the drawings relate to Kaletta's business in statuary.
- Creation: ca. 1915-1944
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
The Kaletta Statuary Company (also known at various points in its history as the Kaletta Company; A. T. Kaletta & Company, and the Kaletta Statuary and Church Goods Company) was founded in St. Louis, Missouri in 1876 by the German immigrant Andrew T. Kaletta (1847-1916). The business was long located at 3715-21 South California Avenue, in the southwest part of the city. Kaletta himself was trained in the fabrication of cast and painted religious statuary, and the manufacture of such figures long remained the company's core concern. According to a history of local businesses published ca. 1908, Kaletta was founded ". . .solely for the purpose of promoting ecclesiastical or church works of art. . . .[r]eligious statuary and monumental work, both for exterior and interior use, is made and can be furnished by this firm in a number of different substances. Also pictorial and tapestry paintings of religious nature and marble work in domestic or foreign marbles." In 1914 leadership of the company passed to Kaletta's three sons, Andrew C., Waldemar, and Alfred, as president, treasurer, and secretary, respectively. In the twentieth century Kaletta's activities expanded to include the design of all manner of church appointments and furniture: candlesticks, lamps, tabernacles, altars, baptismal fonts, vestment cases, choir stalls, and pews, among other products. Some of these items were manufactured by Kaletta's artisans. Others were designed at Kaletta but manufactured by subcontracters. As Kaletta's naturalistic style of statuary fell out of fashion towards mid-century, church furnishings seem to have become the company's lifeline. It oversaw the design and installation of Roman Catholic church interiors in St Louis and elsewhere, including St. Mary Magdalene and St. Gabriel's. (The company dealt with churches of all denominations, but the core of its clientele was always Roman Catholic). At the height of its prosperity ca. 1940, Kaletta did business across the central U. S. The company closed its doors in 1969.
11.2 Cubic Feet (545 items; 5 containers and 1 map case drawer. )
Language of Materials
A collection of architectural drawings and blueprints of church furnishings, created by the Kaletta Statuary Company of St. Louis, Missouri.
The collection is arranged into 12 series, as follows: 1) Wrought Iron and Bronze; 2) Candlesticks; 3) Lanterns and Sanctuary Lamps; 4) Tabernacles, Repositories, Monstrances, and Ciborium; 5) Altar Designs; 6) Baptismal Fonts and Holy Water Fonts; 7) Vestment Cases; 8) Prie-Dieus, Chairs, Sedilia, Bishop's Thrones, and Choir Stalls; 9) Pews; 10) Plans and Layouts; 11) Ornaments; 12) Miscellaneous. Individual folders contain drawings for the same or similar products, or for a particular commission.
- Kaletta Statuary Company Drawings
- George Rugg
- July 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note