Mississippi Estate and Business Records
Identifier: MSN/EA 3201
Scope and Contents
The manner in which this group of records came to be assembled is unclear. The better part of the group consists of probate court records from Hinds County, Mississippi, running from the 1830s into the 1880s. Hinds County is located in west-central Mississippi; the county seats are Jackson and Raymond. Two hundred twenty-five of the probate records relate to the settlement of 12 local estates: those of Goodman Bass (3 records), Michael Blake (9), John Cook (12), Joseph Cooper (6), William Demoss (42), Edward Englehard (9), Wilkins Harvey (3), Cynthia Kerr (2), Perry King, Sr. (3), William Mower (22), John Raney (30), and Joseph Spengler (84). The collection also includes miscellaneous financial, business, and probate records from other, often adjoining, counties in Mississippi, as well as a few from Louisiana, Alabama, and Tennessee. The most significant record group from outside Hinds County is an accumulation of 49 personal and business records (1832-1871) of the Amite County, Mississippi planter Robert Patterson Smiley.
- Majority of material found in 1836-1872
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
1 Linear foot (2 containers; 355 documents)
Language of Materials
About two-thirds of this collection consists of Hinds County, Mississippi probate records from the antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction eras, pertaining to the settlement of 12 local estates. The remainder includes miscellaneous 19th-century court and business records from elsewhere in Mississippi, and from Louisiana, Alabama, and Tennessee.
The collection is arranged in two series: 1) Hinds County, Mississippi Probate Records; 2) Miscellaneous Records. Series 1 arranged alphabetically, by decedent. Multiple items per folder.
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hinds County (Miss.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inheritance and succession -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Probate records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wills -- Southern States -- Cases Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi Estate and Business Records
- Kathleen Monahan
- November 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note