William Allingham Letters
Identifier: MSE/IR 1014
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of forty letters written by William Allingham of Ballyshannon to his brother John Allingham of Dublin, between 26 June 1829 and 29 March 1865. All the letters communicate business transactions, and there are occasional notes on the family and on local affairs.
- Allingham, William, 1789-1866 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
William Allingham (1789-1866) of Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal, was a banker and merchant. After his sister's marriage to a Norwegian business partner of his father, William Allingham lived in Trondheim, Norway from 1805 to 1807. He returned to Ballyshannon where he married and continued as a businessman throughout his life. He was married to Margaret Crawford (d.1833) and later to Isabella Johnston (c.1802-75). The eldest of his nine children was the poet William Allingham (1824-89). John Allingham (1795-1877) was a brother of William. He appears to have left Ballyshannon as a young man and settled in Dublin with an address on Capel Street, to which all these letters are addressed, and he also owned a house and land in Seafield, Clontarf. He married Clarissa Brett in 1821 and had six children.
.17 Cubic Feet
Letters from William Allingham of Ballyshannon to his brother John Allingham of Dublin.
The letters are arranged chronologically.
- Bankers -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bankers -- Ireland -- 19th century -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ireland -- Commerce Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ireland -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- William Allingham Letters
- Hannah Sabal
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note