Patrick J. Sullivan Papers
Scope and Content
Manuscripts and notes, on paper and computer disks, presenting the teaching of recent popes and bishops on labor-management issues, including Popes John XXIII, Paul VI, and John Paul II ; commentaries on and reactions to Catholic social teaching on labor-management issues as reported in Catholic periodicals; and notes on prominent Catholic individuals and organizations involved with organized labor.
- Sullivan, Patrick J., 1929- (Person)
Language of Materials
Author of Blue Collar, Roman Collar, White Collar: U.S. Catholic Involvement in Labor Management Controversies, 1960-1980 (Lanham, MD: University Press of America, c1987). Patrick J. Sullivan was born 24 August 1929. He earned an A.B. from the University of Notre Dame in 1952, an M.A. from Fordham in 1958, and a Ph.D. from Catholic University in 1971. He served as an assistant professor at King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 1958-1965; as Director of Urban Affairs for CARA in Washington, 1969-1970; as Director of Personnel and Planning for the Holy Cross Fathers, 1970-1976; as an assistant in the Center for Social and Pastoral Ministry at the University of Notre Dame in 1976; and as a rector in one of the residence halls beginning in 1979. He lectured at Notre Dame in 1980-1981 and starting in 1982 worked as an adjunct professor in Notre Dame's Sociology Department, a position he held until 2000, except for a year he spent as religious superior at Stonehill College in North Easton, Massachusetts, 1989-1990. In 2000 he accepted a position in the Public Policy and Social Research Institute at King's College.
2 linear feet.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Patrick J. Sullivan
- Catholic Church -- Doctrines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church and labor -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church and social problems -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collective bargaining -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Industrial sociology -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John-Paul. II Pope, 1920-
- John. XXIII Pope, 1881-1963.
- Paul. VI Pope, 1897-1978.
- Patrick J. Sullivan Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note