Michael A. Mathis Papers
Scope and Content
Correspondence with leaders in the liturgical movement including Donald Attwater, Godfrey Diekmann, Martin Hellriegel, Reynold Hillenbrand, Charles G. O'Connor, H.A. Reinhold, and many others, with members of the Congregation of Holy Cross including Theodore M. Hesburgh, and with bishops, nuns and Catholic lay men and women; manuscripts concerning liturgy by Jean Danielou, Ernst Grieshaer, Jean Guy, Johannes Hofinger, Josef Jungmann, John B. O'Connell, Damasus Winzen, Christine Mohrmann, and Ermin Vitry; tape recordings of Mathis' homilies; financial records; papers documenting liturgical practices; and other material pertaining almost exclusively to Mathis' work on liturgy, with only a few items reflecting his interest in the Holy Cross missions in Bengal.
Microfilm contains medieval manuscripts and printed editions of the Divine Office or of psalms, including Breviarium ad usum Congregationis Sancti Mauri Ordinis Sancti Benedicti in Gallia (Paris: Ph.-D. Pierres, 1787); pages from a printed edition of the psalms in Hebrew with Latin translation and German apparatus; Latin manuscript 24 from The John Rylands Library, Manchester; Vienna Codex 1888 1; and manuscripts from the British Museum (Harley 3935 complete and pages from Harley 2866, Arundel 108, and other manuscripts.
Filmstrip contains prayers from the Mass in the vernacular; movie film contains scenes from Bengal and Europe.
- Creation: 1941-1960
Language of Materials
In English, German, Hebrew, and Latin.
Priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross. Named chaplain at St. Joseph Hospital in South Bend in 1941, he began an in-depth study of liturgy and in 1947 established the summer program in liturgical studies at the University of Notre Dame under the financial auspices of Michael P. Grace, one of his former students. In 1956 he and Godfrey Diekmann, OSB, organized the American Subcommittee for the International Congress of Pastoral Liturgy held at Assisi, Italy.
46 linear feet, 15 reels of audio tape, 2 reels of movie film, 2.5 inches of photographs, 53 glass slides, 8 reels of microfilm, 1 filmstrip, 2 linear inches of printed material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from the Congregation of Holy Cross upon the disposition of Mathis' estate, 22 June 1962.
- Mathis, Michael A. (Michael Ambrose), 1885-1960 (Person)
- Congregation of Holy Cross (Organization)
- Attwater, Donald, 1892-1977 (Person)
- Dieckmann, Godfrey (Person)
- Hellriegel, Martin B., 1890-1981 (Person)
- Hillenbrand, Reynold Henry, 1905-1979 (Person)
- O'Connor, Charles G. (Charles Gary) (Person)
- Reinhold, Hans Ansgar, 1897- (Person)
- Hesburgh, Theodore Martin, 1917- (Person)
- Danielou, Jean (Person)
- Grieshauer, Ernst (Person)
- Guy, Jean Claude (Person)
- Hofinger, Johannes (Person)
- Jungmann, Josef A. (Josef Andreas), 1889-1975 (Person)
- O'Connell, John Berthram, 1888- (Person)
- Winzen, Damasus, 1901-1971 (Person)
- Mohrmann, Christine (Person)
- Vitry, Ermin (Person)
- Michael A. Mathis Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note