Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Content Correspondence (1842-1885), poetry, sermons, and printed material including a copy of his book La Thebaïde en Amérique: ou Apologie de la vie Solitaire et Contemplative (1852).
Scope and Content Manuscripts of poems, plays, fiction, and non-fiction by Charles Phillips; correspondence with Charles Warren Stoddard, 1905-1909; correspondence with others; a letter and a few poems by Vachel Lindsay (1926); and the manuscript of Phillips' book Paderewski: the Story of a Modern Immortal published in 1933; also a notebook on the origins of Virgil's description of Hades in the Aeneid; stories by Charles Warren Stoddard about bohemian life in San Francisco; and grade...
Dates: 1905-1934, 1960.
Scope and Content Correspondence of Holy Cross fathers Peter P. Cooney, William Corby, James M. Dillon, Gilbert Francais, Julius A. Freré, and Basil Anthony Moreau; last wills (1844- 1861), manuscripts of poems, sermons, and speeches, instructions from superiors, military service records, notebooks, and other papers of many Holy Cross priests at Notre Dame.
Scope and Content A 242-page diary kept by Sylvester H. Rosecrans, 1847-1852, which covers his journey to Rome, travels in Italy and preparation for the priesthood; a typewritten transcript of the same diary; letters, poems and clippings by and about Sylvester H. Rosecrans; photostats of some 25 letters concerning the Dominican Sisters at St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, Ohio, 1829-1860; and a few other items concerning the Catholic Church in Columbus.
Dates: 1829-1968 (bulk 1847-1878)
Scope and Content Correspondence, 1886-1896; canonical faculties and official certificates given to Straniero, 1823-1886; Straniero's report on the state of the Catholic Church in America, "Rapporto Sullo Stato della Chiesa Cattolica negli Stati Uniti d'America," 1886; and cards, poems, and letters welcoming Straniero.
Scope and Content Five letters to Finotti (1855-1877), among them one concerning the exhumation of Bishop Frederic Baraga, one concerning the Society of California Pioneers, and one concerning the school question; and scrapbooks of political cartoons, including caricatures of Jefferson Davis, and newspaper clippings on the Civil War, popular poetry, and Catholicism.
Scope and Content Correspondence with members of his family and such Notre Dame personalities as Vincent Fagan and Richard Sullivan; and manuscripts and handwritten notes for short stories and poems, a collection of his stories Men in the Field, and an unpublished novel, Gold and Fiddles.
- Clippings (information artifacts) 2
- Notebooks. 2
- Caricatures. 1
- Catholic Church -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Chaplains, Military 1
- Choctaw Indians -- Missions 1
- Diaries 1
- Genealogies. 1
- School question. 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Sermons. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- University of Notre Dame -- History. 1 ∧ less
- French 2
- Latin 2
- Italian 1
- Baraga, Frederic, 1797-1868. 1
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Columbus (Ohio) 1
- Congregation of Holy Cross. 1
- Cooney, Peter Paul, 1822-1905. 1
- Corby, William, 1833-1897. 1
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 -- Caricatures and cartoons. 1
- Dillon, James M., 1833-1869. 1
- Dominican Sisters. Congregation of St. Mary of the Springs. 1
- Donahue, Eve Phillips. 1
- Fagan, Vincent F. (Vincent Francis), 1898-1951. 1
- Finotti, Joseph Maria, 1817-1879. 1
- Francais, Gilbert, 1849-1929. 1
- Freré, Julius A., 1820-1892. 1
- Lindsay, Vachel, 1879-1931. 1
- Moreau, Basil Anthony, 1799-1873. 1
- Paderewski, Ignace Jan, 1860-1941. 1
- Phillips, Charles, 1880-1933. 1
- Rosecrans, Sylvester Horton, 1827-1878 1
- Rouquette, Adrien Emmanuel, 1813-1887. 1
- Society of California Pioneers. 1 ∧ less