Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Content Correspondence and copies of correspondence, including three autographs of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, several autographs of Archbishop John Carroll, and correspondence of Bishop John Cheverus of Boston, Bishop Michael Egan of Philadelphia, Daniel Brent, John Carroll Brent, and Howes Goldsborough of Easton, Maryland; diary of Archbishop Ambrose Maréchal, 1818-1827; diary and account book of Archbishop James Whitfield, 1827-1828; clippings and related material. Also microfilm of...
Dates: 1717-1960 (bulk 1800-1899).
Scope and Content Correspondence, including original letters and photostats from the Archdiocesan Archives of Boston and the National Archives. Correspondents include missionary priests Stephen Theodore Badin and John Thayer; Jean Lefebvre de Cheverus, first bishop of Boston, and Benedict Joseph Fenwick, second bishop of Boston; and Joseph M. Finotti, collector of Catholic Americana. Also records of the Tabernacle Society of the Convent of Notre-Dame, Berkeley Street, Boston (1898-1906) consisting...
Scope and Content Correspondence consisting chiefly of letters received by Bishops Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P., and John Baptist Purcell, and representing also the first two years of the episcopacy of Archbishop William Henry Elder. Correspondents include Sylvester H. Rosecrans, who served as auxiliary bishop from 1862 to 1868; priests of the diocese; Fathers Stephen T. Badin and Edward Sorin, C.S.C.; and many members of the American hierarchy. Also miscellaneous related material, 1815-1885, including two Papal...
Dates: 1815-1963 (bulk 1815-1885)
Scope and Content Occasional correspondence of the prelates of the Diocese of New York; letters (1875-1876) received by John O'Kane Murray of New York; commemorative material having to do with the diocese; letters received by John Talbot Smith (1849-1934); a minute book of the New York Ladies' Seamen's Friend Society (1842-1847); and a book of handwritten notes (1836) by James Roosevelt Bayley (later Bishop of Newark and Archbishop of Baltimore) before he converted to Catholicism. Correspondents...
Scope and Content Letters of the Vincentian John Timon to Joseph Rosati, 1822-1891, and letters, 1841-1842, from Pierre Jean De Smet, SJ, missionary to the Indians, to his religious superiors; pamphlets and papers concerning the St. Louis World Fair of 1904; clippings about Bishop Kenrick's Golden Jubilee, 1891; and photostats of transcripts of letters, mostly to Rosati, from Simon Bruté, Gabriel Richard, Stephen T. Badin, and others. On microfilm: nineteen reels of diocesan correspondence...
Scope and Content Correspondence; historical and religious writings; and research and reference files on Bishop Simon Bruté, Father Stephen T. Badin, Girolamo Savonarola, early missions in Mexican America, Indiana Catholic history, and the Benedictine order in the United States. Also Schmitt's collection of autograph letters, calling cards, and signatures of authors, British and American legislators, presidents of the United States, archbishops, and cardinals (1777-1893). The papers of Father Edmond...
Dates: 1777-1901 (bulk 1890-1901).
Scope and Content Correspondence or copies of correspondence from Stephen T. Badin, Julian Benoit, and various American bishops regarding local and university legal and religious matters; letters to Vicar General Augustus Mary Martin at Terre Haute, Indiana, and Saint Theodore Guerin, Mother Superior of the Sisters of Providence at St. Mary of the Woods, Indiana; writings, meditations, instructions; a statement by Sorin on the relationship between the sisters at Notre Dame and those at St. Mary's College (1876)...
Dates: 1836-1991 (bulk 1839-1893).
Scope and Content A few original manuscripts, but chiefly photocopies, transcriptions, and translations of correspondence and documents concerning the history of the Catholic Church in Kentucky; correspondents include missionary priest Stephen T. Badin and bishops John Baptist David, Benedict Joseph Flaget, Martin John Spalding, Peter Joseph Lavialle, and William George McCloskey. Portraits of Catholic clergy and religious along with photographs and photomechanical prints of Catholic churches,...
Scope and Content Microfilm of correspondence of Simon Gabriel Bruté, first Bishop of Vincennes (1834-1839), both before and after his appointment as bishop, made from documents in various collections held by the University of Notre Dame Archives. Consists mainly of letters handwritten by Bruté, with some printed material and correspondence received by Bruté. Correspondents include William Gaston, Rev. Stephen T. Badin, and bishops Joseph Rosati, CM, John Timon, CM, John Baptist David, SS, Guy...
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- Correspondence 5
- Letters. 4
- Clippings (information artifacts) 3
- Catholic Church -- Ohio -- History -- Sources 2
- Catholic Church--Bishops--Correspondence. 2
- Letters 2
- Catholic Church -- Bishops -- History 1
- Catholic Church -- History -- Indiana 1
- Catholic Church -- Kentucky 1
- Catholic Church -- Middle West 1
- Catholic Church -- Missions -- North America 1
- Catholic Church -- Pastoral letters and charges 1
- Catholic Church -- Southwestern states -- History 1
- Catholic Church -- United States 1
- Directories. 1
- Maps -- Mexico -- 19th century 1
- Maps -- Texas -- 19th century. 1
- Mexican Americans -- Missions -- Southwest, New 1
- Monasticism and religious orders 1
- St. Mary's College, (Notre Dame, Ind.) -- History. 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- French 2
- German 1
- Latin 1
- Spanish; Castilian 1
- Undetermined 1 ∧ less
- David, John Baptist Mary, 1761-1841. 3
- Sorin, Edward. 3
- Bruté, Simon, 1779-1839. 2
- Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Ohio) 2
- Cheverus, Jean Louis Aimé Madeleine Lefebvre de, 1768-1836. 2
- Elder, William Henry, 1819-1904. 2
- Fenwick, Edward Dominic, 1768-1832. 2
- Lavialle, Peter Joseph, 1819-1867. 2
- McCloskey, William George, 1823-1909. 2
- Pius IX, Pope, 1792-1878. 2
- Pius VII, Pope, 1742-1823. 2
- Purcell, John Baptist, 1800-1883. 2
- Rosati, Joseph, Bp., 1789-1843. 2
- Rosecrans, Sylvester Horton, 1827-1878. 2
- Timon, John, 1797-1867. 2
- Bacon, David William, 1815-1874. 1
- Bayley, James Roosevelt, 1814-1877. 1
- Benoit, Julian, 1808-1885. 1
- Blanc, Anthony, 1792-1860. 1 ∧ less