Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Scope and Content Correspondence files from the Central Bureau, most of them involving Frederick P. Kenkel and dating from his term as director (1908-1952); concerning Central Verein business and Catholic topics of the day, including a large file on anti-Catholic speakers claiming to be ex-priests and nuns. Correspondents include John J. Cochran, Brother Joseph Dutton, Mary Filser Lohr, Joseph Matt, John Rothensteiner, and George Shuster, and many prominent German Catholics. Microfilm contains...
Dates: 1826-1972 (bulk 1908-1952).
Scope and Content Correspondence, speeches, reports, and other papers; with material on the Kenkel family, clippings, maps, notebooks, a reel of microfilm containing letters from Kenkel to Joseph Matt (1906-1913), photographs of Kenkel and members of his family and books from Kenkel's library. Correspondents include Woodrow Wilson, Herbert Hoover, John A. Ryan, Congressman John J. Cochran, and Brother Joseph Dutton. Extensive family correspondence includes letters from those serving in World War I...
Scope and Content Chiefly correspondence, including letters written by Selinger during his years as a student at the North American College in Rome and as a teacher at St. Francis Seminary in Milwaukee to Rev. Anton Pauk of St. Louis; letters from H.J. Heuser, O.J.S. Hoog, and Bede Maler, OSB, some of them concerning Selinger's views on agnosticism; letters from rectors of the Catholic University of America John J. Keane, D.J. O'Connell, and Thomas J. Conaty; and letters from M. Cardinal Faulhaber, A. Cardinal...
Scope and Content Printed material from a wide variety of Catholic lay societies, including the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Knights of America, Catholic Central-Verein, Saint Joseph's Staats-Verband (State League) of Indiana, the German Saint Vincent Orphan Society, the Western Catholic Union, the Knights of Saint John, the Saint Vincent de Paul Society, the Legion of Mary, the Kolping Society, the National Catholic Alumni Federation, and various other lay organizations and sodalities.
Scope and Content Chiefly mimeographed copies of letters, 1923-1939, involving Monsignor John A. Ryan, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Joseph Kennedy, Josephus Daniels, H.L. Mencken, and others; concerning such topics as Hitler, Father Coughlin, pacifism, anti-semitism, profit sharing, and religious tolerance; with a few autograph letters from Callahan to Frederick Kenkel of the Catholic Central Verein; and a paper by William E. Ellis, "Patrick Henry Callahan: A Kentucky Democrat in National Politics," 1976.
Scope and Content Letters from John W. Cavanaugh, CSC, Nicholas Dietz, James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop John Glennon, and Frederick P. Kenkel to Peter E. Dietz; concerning Dietz's work in support of organized labor and his interest in social service and social reform; with material on the Militia of Christ and the American Federation of Labor. Also correspondence between Dietz and officers of the Catholic Central Verein concerning cooperation between the Verein and the American Federation of...
- Names: Catholic Central Verein of America. X
- Letters. 5
- Catholics, German 2
- Addresses 1
- Agnosticism 1
- Anti-Catholicism 1
- Antisemitism 1
- Catholic Church -- Middle West -- History 1
- Catholic Church -- Publishing 1
- Catholic Church -- Societies, etc. -- United States 1
- Catholics, German -- United States 1
- Church and social problems -- Catholic Church 1
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- German Americans 1
- Labor movement -- United States 1
- Maps (documents) 1
- Pacifism 1
- Profit-sharing 1
- Religious tolerance 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Seminaries -- Wisconsin -- St. Francis. 1 ∧ less
- German 2
- French 1
- Italian 1
- Latin 1
- Kenkel, Frederick, 1863-1952. 4
- Cochran, John J. (John Joseph), 1880-1947. 2
- Dutton, Joseph, 1843-1931. 2
- Matt, Joseph, 1877-1966. 2
- Ryan, John Augustine, 1869-1945. 2
- American Federation of Catholic Societies 1
- American Federation of Labor 1
- Bertram, Adolf, 1859-1945. 1
- Callahan, Patrick Henry, 1866-1940. 1
- Catholic Central Verein of America. Central Bureau. 1
- Catholic Knights of America. 1
- Cavanaugh, John W. (John William), 1870-1935. 1
- Clark, Francis P. 1
- Conaty, Thomas James, 1847-1915. 1
- Coughlin, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1891-1979. 1
- Daniels, Josephus, 1862-1948. 1
- Dietz, Nicholas. 1
- Dietz, Peter Ernest, 1878-1947. 1
- Ellis, William E. (William Elliott), 1940- 1 ∧ less