Showing Collections: 1 - 12 of 12
Identifier: MSN/CW 8010
Abstract A manuscript Civil War diary of Confederate States Army lieutenant Alfred Moore, written as a member of Co. I, 11th Virginia Cavalry. Moore's entries extend from September 1864 to February 1865: events covered include Hampton's cattle raid and Rosser's raid on Beverly, West Virginia.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8001
Abstract A Civil War manuscript diary kept by David B. Arthur of Grant County, Wisconsin, as 1st sergeant and 2nd lieutenant in Co. I, 20th Wisconsin Infantry. Entries range from October 1862 to June 1863, when the regiment was serving in Missouri and Arkansas.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8011
Abstract A manuscript Civil War diary of Confederate States Army lieutenant George H. Murphy, written as a member of Co. D, 23rd Virginia Cavalry. Entries extend from 1 March to 13 April 1865, and recount the author's movements up and down the Shenandoah Valley.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8022
Abstract A manuscript diary maintained by Confederate States Pvt. H. H. Wiseman, Co. B, 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery, recounting Wiseman's experiences in Union prison camps at Governors Island and Elmira, New York in 1864-1865.
Dates: 1864 August-1865 February
Identifier: MSN/CW 8000
Abstract A short-entry Civil War manuscript soldier's diary for the calendar year 1863, kept by James Boardman, Co. B, 3rd Minnesota Infantry.
Identifier: MSN/CW 1014
Abstract Civil War papers and realia of James C. Woodworth of Worcester, Massachusetts, who from 1861 to 1864 served in Co. H of the 25th Massachusetts Infantry, rising to lieutenant. Included in the collection are a 6-volume wartime diary and an album containing 73 tintype portraits of members of Co. H.
Dates: 1861-1900; Majority of material found in 1861-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 8003
Abstract A short-entry Civil War manuscript diary of Confederate States soldier Thomas Benton Alexander, written as a member of the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery Regiment, Company B (3rd). Much of the content dates from the final year of the war, when Alexander was captured at Mobile Bay and imprisoned at Elmira, New York.
Identifier: MSN/CW 5111
Abstract Four manuscript letters addressed to New York investor Thomas F. Mason, discussing the cotton trade conducted by northern merchants with Confederate held areas along the Mississippi River during the American Civil War.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8002
Abstract A Civil War manuscript diary of Confederate States trooper Thomas J. Barb, written as a member of the 1st (Dobbin's) Arkansas Cavalry Regiment. Entries extend from 18 June to 11 September 1863 and include accounts of several key engagements in Arkansas, including the attack on Helena and the defense of Little Rock.
Identifier: MSN/CW 8018
Abstract A personal diary maintained by Confederate veteran Thomas Kemp Cartmell, mostly during the late war years and Reconstruction, 1864-1866. The entries were written at the Cartmell family estate, "Retirement," in Frederick County, Virginia.
Dates: 1864-1872; Majority of material found in 1864-1866
Identifier: MSN/CW 8007
Abstract A volume including manuscript diary entries dated from August 1863 to October 1864 written by Civil War soldier William Cline, as a member of Co. B, 73rd Ohio Infantry. The book also includes a 53-page memoir chronicling Cline's service from 1861-1863.
Identifier: MSN/CW 1015
Abstract The Civil War letters, wartime manuscripts and postwar family papers of William Judson Howe (1838-1925) of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, who served in Company C of the 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry from 1862 to 1865.
Dates: 1857-1993; Majority of material found in 1861-1865
- Diaries 10
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 8
- Ephemera 2
- Letters (correspondence) 2
- Manuscripts (documents) 2
- Photographs 2
- Soldiers -- Virginia -- Diaries 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Diaries 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons 2
- Arkansas -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Beverly (W. Va.) -- History, Military -- 19th century 1
- Businessmen -- United States -- Correspondence 1
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) 1
- Confederate States of America 1
- Cotton trade -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Frederick County (Va.) 1
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863 1
- Military records 1 ∧ less
- Alexander, Thomas Benton, 1839-1928 1
- Arthur, David B 1
- Barb, Thomas J. (Thomas Jacob), 1842-1899 1
- Boardman, James, b. 1831 1
- Cartmell, T. K. (Thomas Kemp), 1838-1920 1
- Cline, William, 1830-1899 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Arkansas Cavalry Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Tennessee Heavy Artillery Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 11th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 23rd 1
- Elmira Prison (Elmira, N.Y.) 1
- Howe, William Judson, 1838-1925 1
- Mason, Thomas F., (Thomas Fales), 1815-1899 1
- Moore, Alfred, b. 1837 1
- Murphy, George H., b. ca. 1836 1
- United States. Army. Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, 25th (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Minnesota Infantry Regiment, 3rd (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 73rd (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment, 7th (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865) 1 ∧ less