Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Identifier: MSN/CW 5057
Abstract More than one hundred letters written during the Civil War by two brothers serving in the Confederate army, Sgt. William Lafayette Barrier (1st North Carolina Cavalry) and Col. Rufus Barrier (8th North Carolina Infantry). The letters are mostly directed to the brothers' father, Mathias Barrier, in Mt. Pleasant, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
Dates: 1861-1868; Majority of material found in ( 1861-1865)
Identifier: MSN/CW 5040
Scope and Contents A manuscript personal letter written from the defenses of Richmond on 1 December 1864 by Confederate soldier Cicero R. Barker, 8th North Carolina Infantry.
Dates: 1 December 1864
Identifier: MSN/CW 5041
Scope and Contents Of the seven manuscripts in the group, five are letters by Pratt to his mother or father—one written from western Virginia in August of 1861, and four from various locations in the Shenandoah Valley, December 1862 to November 1863. The two remaining documents (March-June 1862) are letters to Pratt from the headquarters of Brig. Gen. Wise, responding to Pratt's own, perhaps repeated entreaties that Wise use his influence to expedite Pratt's exchange. Pratt's initial assignment to Wise's command...
Identifier: MSN/CW 1000
Abstract Manuscripts and other materials relating to the Confederate army service of the brothers Henry, Martin, Robert, and Joseph Leonard, of Iredell County, North Carolina, including records of Co. C, 48th North Carolina Infantry.
Dates: 1862-after 1865; Majority of material found in 1862-1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5108
Scope and Contents Central to this collection of family letters are personal letters written by Marcellus Ovando Messer during his Civil War era military service in Company C, 19th Ohio Infantry (1861-1865). These letters date from 11 January 1862 to 23 October 1865. Stamped, postmarked envelopes are present for most. Messer writes to his parents Loren S. Messer and Chestina W. Cook Messer and younger brother, Charles Messer, at home in Warren, Ohio, and to his brother George W. Messer (who by 1863 was himself...
Dates: 1853 - 1924; Majority of material found within 1862 - 1865
Identifier: MSN/CW 5109
Abstract The collection includes more than 50 manuscript letters written during the Civil War by Pvt. John William Masterson, Co. A, 133rd New York Infantry, as well as later papers relating to Masterson's service and to his son William and daughter Ida.
Dates: 1862-1923; Majority of material found within ( 1862-1865)
Identifier: MSN/CW 5050
Abstract A personal letter written from Columbus, Ohio on 25 August 1863 by Confederate Col. Richard C. Morgan, 14th Kentucky Cavalry, following his capture on John Hunt Morgan's Indiana-Ohio Raid. The letter is directed to sister-in-law Martha Ready Morgan, John Morgan's wife.
Dates: 25 August 1863
Identifier: MSN/CW 5025
Abstract A group of 18 family letters, 14 of which were written in 1862-63 by Confederate Lt. Col. William W. Sillers of the 30th North Carolina Infantry. The letters are directed to Sillers' sister, Frances Sillers Holmes, in Sampson County, North Carolina.
Dates: 1859-1864; Majority of material found in 1862-1863
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Correspondence 5
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 5
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate 3
- Clippings (information artifacts) 2
- Manuscripts (documents) 2
- Atlanta Campaign, 1864 1
- Burial records 1
- Cabarrus County (N.C.) -- History 1
- Chattanooga, Battle of, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1863 1
- Chickamauga, Battle of, Ga., 1863 1
- Ephemera 1
- Louisiana -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Military records 1
- Morgan's Ohio Raid, 1863 1
- North Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Ohio -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Photographs 1
- Poetry 1
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862 1 ∧ less
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 8th 2
- Barker, Cicero R., 1848-1917 1
- Barrier, Rufus A. (Rufus Alexander), 1836-1876 1
- Barrier, William L. (William Lafayette), 1834-1864 1
- Confederate States of America. Army of Northern Virginia 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Clingman's Brigade 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Cavalry Regiment, 1st 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 30th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 48th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 18th. Company H 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 59th. Company G (2nd) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Partisan Rangers, 1st 1
- Holmes, Frances Sillers, b. ca. 1834 1
- Leonard family 1
- Leonard, Henry G., 1836- 1
- Leonard, Joseph S. (Joseph Sylvester), 1843-1920 1
- Leonard, Martin A., 1839-1865 1
- Leonard, Robert R. (Robert Rudolph), 1840-1922 1
- Masterson, John W. (John William), ca. 1844-1880 1 ∧ less