Little Leather Library Books
Identifier: EPH 5025
Scope and Contents
The collection includes 31 titles, with the authors ranging from Shakespeare to Yeats.
Language of Materials
Language of Materials
Collection material in English
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
The publishers Albert and Charles Boni came up with the idea of miniature editions of classic works of literature to be included as a premium with another product, much like baseball cards were included with a pack of cigarettes. The advertising executives Harry Scherman and Maxwell Sackheim suggested the Whitman's Candy Company of Philadelphia. The venture was successful, and after the success of "sweets with a book," the brothers published more miniatures (3" X 4"), which were sold at 10 cents apiece through mail orders as well as through such outlets as Woolworth's. Along with Horace Liveright, the Boni brothers went on to the founding of the Modern Library, and Sackheim and Scherman were instrumental in the founding of the Book-of-the-Month Club in 1926 .
.75 Cubic Feet (2 containers)
The collection includes 31 titles published by the Little Leather Library Corporation.
Materials are arranged with one miniature book per folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The circumstances surrounding the acquisition of this collection by the Hesburgh Libraries are not known. Arranged and described by Kenneth Kinslow. Finding aid 2014, by Sheila Smyth and Ingrid Adams.
- Books and reading -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Intellectual life -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Little leather library Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Publishers and publishing -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Little Leather Library Books
- Kenneth Kinslow
- September 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note