American Slavery Manuscript Collection
Identifier: MSN/EA 0200
Scope and Contents
A small accumulation of unrelated manuscripts with a bearing on North American slavery. Many of the documents gathered in this collection are either slave bills of sale or estate inventories that include slaves. Seven are from Kentucky, including several from Madison County. The collection also includes several personal letters and a sample of the Arabic hand of Abd al-Rahman Ibrahima, a freed slave who achieved a measure of fame during a tour of the Northeast in 1828.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
.25 Cubic Feet (1 container and 1 flat storage container)
Language of Materials
An accumulation of 19 documents and letters, unrelated in origin, with a bearing on slavery in colonial North America and the United States, 1771-1864.
Materials are arranged chronologically, one item per folder.
- Bills of sale Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ibrahima, Abd al-Rahman, 1762-1829
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slavery -- History -- United States -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery -- Kentucky -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wills Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- American Slavery Manuscript Collection
- Scott Young
- July 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note