Comte de Langeron reports
Identifier: MSN/COL 7901
Scope and Contents
The collection consists primarily of retained copies of reports written by Langeron from Saint-Domingue in 1762-63.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical / Historical
At the time the letters and memoranda in this collection were written, Alexandre-Claude-Nicholas, Comte de Langeron (b. 1732) was colonel of the régiment Royal-Barrois, stationed in the French colony of Saint-Domingue in the Caribbean. Langeron was from a notable military family. He and the approximately 400 members of the Royal-Barrois arrived at Saint-Domingue in December 1762, towards the end of the Seven Years War. They were stationed on the north coast of the colony, at Cap François (present-day Cap Haitien in Haiti). They remained in Saint-Domingue through the end of the war, returning to France in July 1765.
.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Retained copies of official reports written in 1762-63 from the Caribbean colony of Saint-Domingue by the Comte de Langeron, a French army colonel.
The collection is arranged one document per folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Langeron reports were purchased by the Hesburgh Libraries in 2005, from William Reese Co. of New Haven, Connecticut. Arranged and described 2006, by George Rugg. Finding aid 2009, by Jacob Baska and George Rugg.
- Comte de Langeron reports
- Jacob Baska
- July 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note