Carmel of Reno Records
Scope and Content
Records of the Carmel of Reno, consisting of files documenting interaction with bishops of Reno, with the Carmelites Fathers, and with other Carmelite nuns; files on meetings; surveys regarding Carmelite nuns; clippings; correspondence; files on deceased sisters and friends; and Clem Family papers.
- Creation: 1953-2011.
Language of Materials
Founded in August of 1954 by eight nuns from the Carmelite Monastery of Indianapolis, the Carmel of Reno, also known as the Carmel of Our Lady of the Mountains, started in a small house on Virginia Street. By 1958 they had acquired 19 acres in southwest Reno and built a permanent monastery. They dedicate themselves to solitary silent prayer, support themselves by work in a print shop, in arts and music, by producing articles and books, and by using modern technology to spread the gospel message of peace and reconciliation.
7.5 linear feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by the Carmelite sisters of Reno, Sister Claire Sokol, prioress.
- Carmel of Reno Records
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note