Diocese of Wheeling Collection
Scope and Content
Clippings concerning diocesan affairs, 1872-1879, including clippings of the pastoral letters of Richard Whelan and John Joseph Kain; and photostats of letters received by Mother M. de Chantal, Superior of the Sisters of St. Joseph at St. Joseph's Academy in Wheeling (1874- 1875, 1895).
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Wheeling (W.V.). (Organization)
Language of Materials
The Diocese of Wheeling was established in 1850. Richard Vincent Whelan, formerly Bishop of Richmond, served as its first bishop until 1874. John Joseph Kain was its second bishop (1875-1893) and Patrick James Donohoe its third (1894-1922).
1 linear inch.
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Wheeling (W.V.).
- Chantal, Francis de, Mother
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kain, John Joseph, 1841-1903
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- St. Joseph's Female Academy (Wheeling, W.Va.)
- Whelan, Richard Vincent, 1809-1874.
- Diocese of Wheeling Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note