Francis Silas Chatard Letters received
Scope and Content
Letters from family, friends, and American bishops, most of them dating from the time when Chatard lived in Rome; concerning the North American College and its students and European travels of American friends; with requests from American bishops for assistance in dealing with Vatican officials, inquiries about political conditions in Rome, and requests for accomodations at the College for the First Vatican Council.
- 1855-1912 (bulk 1855-1875).
- Chatard, Francis Silas, 1834-1918. (Person)
Language of Materials
In English , French , Latin and Italian .
Vice-rector (1863-1868) and rector (1868-1878) of the North American College, Rome, before his appointment as Bishop of Vincennes, Indiana, in 1878.
8 reels of microfilm.
- Alemany, Joseph Sadoc, 1814-1888.
- Bayley, James Roosevelt, 1814-1877.
- Chatard, Francis Silas, 1834-1918.
- Corrigan, Michael Augustine, 1839-1902.
- Elder, William Henry, 1819-1904.
- Hecker, Isaac Thomas, 1819-1888.
- Horstmann, Ignatius F. (Ignatius Frederick), 1840-1908.
- McCloskey, John, 1810-1885.
- McCloskey, William George, 1823-1909.
- North American College (Rome, Italy).
- Purcell, John B.
- Ryan, Patrick John, 1831-1911.
- Seton, Robert, 1839-1927.
- Francis Silas Chatard Letters received
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note