American Federation of Catholic Societies Collection
Scope and Content
Material concerning the American Federation of Catholic Societies and Anthony Matre, its National Secretary; consisting of proceedings of annual meetings, the federation's bulletin, 1906-1919, issues from the weekly press service of the federation's Social Service Commission, 1913-1918, scrapbooks and newspaper clippings, and various editions of the federation's constitution and bylaws; with correspondence of Anthony Matre and other federation officials to Catholic and secular organizations and leaders including Woodrow Wilson, William Jennings Bryan, and Robert Lansing; correspondence between Matre's sons, Richard and Frank, and Sister Mary Adele Francis Gorman containing comments on her dissertation and reflections on the activities of their father and the federation; and correspondence with manuscript repositories.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Contractual restrictions may apply.
A loose union of organizations that tried to mold Catholic opinion, influence legislation, and promote decency in entertainment and motion pictures. Anthony Matre served as national secretary of the federation.
2 linear inches. 9 reels of microfilm.
Collected by Sister Mary Adele Francis Gorman in support of her doctoral dissertation on the AFCS (University of Notre Dame, 1962).
- American Federation of Catholic Societies
- Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925.
- Catholic Church -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gorman, Mary Adele Francis.
- Lansing, Robert, 1864-1928.
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Matre, Anthony, 1866-1934.
- Matre, Frank.
- Matre, Richard J.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924.
- American Federation of Catholic Societies Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note