Diocese of Columbus Collection
Scope and Content
A 242-page diary kept by Sylvester H. Rosecrans, 1847-1852, which covers his journey to Rome, travels in Italy and preparation for the priesthood; a typewritten transcript of the same diary; letters, poems and clippings by and about Sylvester H. Rosecrans; photostats of some 25 letters concerning the Dominican Sisters at St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, Ohio, 1829-1860; and a few other items concerning the Catholic Church in Columbus.
- 1829-1968 (bulk 1847-1878)
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Columbus (Ohio) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Sylvester H. Rosecrans, a convert to the Catholic faith, was received into the Church in 1845 and ordained a priest in Rome in 1853. He served as first bishop of Columbus, 1868-1878.
5 linear inches
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Some of the material on Rosecrans was a gift of Lucien Mooney, 25 September 1956.
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Columbus (Ohio)
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dominican Sisters. Congregation of St. Mary of the Springs.
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Poems. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Rosecrans, Sylvester Horton, 1827-1878
- Diocese of Columbus Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note