Diocese of Cleveland Collection
Scope and Content
Correspondence of Bishops Rappe, Gilmour, and Horstmann, with documents concerning the resignation of Bishop Rappe, and a pastoral letter by Bishop Schrembs (22 October 1922); and transcripts of letters received by Fr. Pfeil, many from Bishop Joseph Bernard Dolbing.
Also pamphlets, including a sketch of the history of Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Sandusky, and newspaper clippings, including articles by Bishop Gilmour, articles concerning him and other bishops, and articles on the Quigley-Coghlin case.
- Creation: 1847-1922
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Cleveland (OH) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Diocese created in 1847 with Louis Amadeus Rappe as its first bishop, Richard Gilmour as its second (1870-1891), Ignatius Horstmann as its third (1891-1908), John P. Farrelly as its fourth (1909-1921), and Joseph Schrembs as its fifth (1921-1945).
2.5 linear inches.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Apparently the gift of Ignatius Horstmann to James F. Edwards.
- Coghlin, Denis. (Person)
- Quigley, P.F. (Patrick Francis) (Person)
- Rappe, Louis Amadeus, 1801-1877. (Person)
- Gilmour, Richard, 1824-1891. (Person)
- Horstmann, Ignatius F. (Ignatius Frederick), 1840-1908 (Person)
- Schrembs, Joseph, 1866-1945 (Person)
- Dolbing, J. Bernard (Joseph Bernard), 1855-1918. (Person)
- Diocese of Cleveland Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note