Skip to main content

Archdiocese of Cincinnati Collection

 Fonds
Identifier: ACI

Scope and Content

Correspondence consisting chiefly of letters received by Bishops Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P., and John Baptist Purcell, and representing also the first two years of the episcopacy of Archbishop William Henry Elder. Correspondents include Sylvester H. Rosecrans, who served as auxiliary bishop from 1862 to 1868; priests of the diocese; Fathers Stephen T. Badin and Edward Sorin, C.S.C.; and many members of the American hierarchy. Also miscellaneous related material, 1815-1885, including two Papal Bulls by Pius VII and Pius IX; and printed material, "Communications from the Archdiocese of Cincinnati," including the Clergy Bulletin, 1933-1963. Documents dating 1815-1843 have been microfilmed.

Calendared

Dates

  • 1815-1963 (bulk 1815-1885)

Creator

Language of Materials

English.

Background

Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P., served as a missionary in the region before he became the first Bishop of Cincinnati with establishment of the diocese in 1821. John Baptist Purcell became the second Bishop of Cincinnati on 12 May 1833. Cincinnati became a metropolitan see in 1850, and Purcell became archbishop. The diocese grew tremendously during Purcell's episcopacy, but his years as bishop were marred by the failure of "Father Purcell's Bank" in 1873 and the ensuing scandal. William Henry Elder's task, first as co-adjutor and after 1883 as archbishop, began in 1880 with attempts to restore confidence and repair damages in the diocese.

Extent

4.5 linear feet.

Title
Archdiocese of Cincinnati Collection
Subtitle
Guide
Author
University of Notre Dame Archives
Date
2005
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the University of Notre Dame Archives Repository

Contact:
607 Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame Indiana 46556 United States
(574) 631-6448