Civil War Collection
Scope and Content
Dropfiles containing clippings, offprints, newsletters, and ephemera concerning the Civil War, and specifically the Irish Brigade, the Holy Cross Fathers as chaplains during the war, and the Holy Cross Sisters and other nuns and sisters who served as nurses during the war; also books, many of them published in the nineteenth century, and many with illustrations, concerning the Civil War. Also related photographs and objects.
- Creation: 1850-2013
- Archives of the University of Notre Dame (Organization)
Language of Materials
Holy Cross Fathers and Brothers founded the University of Notre Dame, and Holy Cross Sisters served at Notre Dame in the nineteenth century. Many of these Holy Cross religious served during the Civil War as chaplains and nurses.
4 linear feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
New books generally donated by their authors; older books donated by the Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Chaplains.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Hospitals, charities, etc.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Irish troops.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Regimental histories -- Irish Brigade.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Women's work.
- Civil War Collection
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note