Peter Paul Cooney Papers
Scope and Content
Correspondence, 1855-1904; Cooney's sermons and speeches; his Civil War diary, 1864-1865; manuscripts of his works, 1861-1890; a notebook describing his tour of the United States to collect material on the role of Catholic chaplains and nuns in the Civil War, 1890; clippings he collected on the Civil War, Ireland, and temperance; and printed matter including Child's Recollection of General Grant (1885) and a map of the Chickamauga battle field, 1886. Records of the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia published an annotated edition of the Cooney letters in volume 44 (1933) pages 47-69, 151-169, and 220-237.
- Cooney, Peter Paul, 1822-1905. (Person)
Language of Materials
Holy Cross Priest, Civil War chaplain, missionary, and temperance lecturer who graduated from the University of Notre Dame, 1851.
2 linear feet.
- Chaplains, Military -- Catholic Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cooney, Peter Paul, 1822-1905.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Sermons. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Temperance. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peter Paul Cooney Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note