Burnett C. Bauer Papers
Scope and Content
Papers documenting the history of the Christian Family Movement of which Bauer was a founder, dating chiefly 1940s-1990s; consisting of issues of CFM ACT, photocopies, minutes, meeting material, printed ephemera, and letters, including correspondence with Pat and Patty Crowley and others; also lecture notes, and newsletters (Christian Family Notes, 1948, and Christian Family Bulletin, 1949-1950) concerning Bauer's involvement in the founding and early activities of CFM; with CFM Inquiry booklets; magazines, newspapers, clippings, and pamphlets, all related in some way to CFM; and a few black-and-white prints representing CFM activities. Also papers documenting Bauer's active participation in the Right to Life movement, Democrats for Life, Citizens for Educational Freedom, environmental issues, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, and the Indiana legislature.
Language of Materials
Born in Underwood, North Dakota, 23 July 1916, Burnett "Burnie" Bauer graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1938. He and his wife Helene were among the founders of the Christian Family Movement. He served as an Indiana State Representative starting in 1964 and later as an Indiana State Senator. As a legislator he was especially interested in environmental issues. He belonged to the National Right to Life, Democrats for Life, and Citizens for Educational Freedom. He served for many years as Notre Dame class of '38 secretary. Among many honors, he was recognized as an outstanding Catholic layman, became a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre, and a Sagamore of the Wabash. He died in 2011 at the age of 95.
34 linear feet.
- Bauer, Burnett C. (Burnett Calix), 1916-
- Catholic Action Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Christian Family Movement.
- Crowley, Patricia Caron, 1913-
- Crowley, Patrick F., 1911-1974.
- Lecture notes. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Letters. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Burnett C. Bauer Papers
- University of Notre Dame Archives
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note